OpenSlate analyzes nearly 1 Billion videos and 4M creators across YouTube, Facebook, TikTok and more. Our data measures content quality, subject matter, brand safety and suitability. Our applications enable the world’s biggest brands to align with content that works best for each of their unique needs. We are the leading content analytics company in the video ecosystem and provide all major media agencies with programmatic solutions. OpenSlate is regularly featured as a definitive source of safety and suitability in the Wall Street Journal, Ad Age, Digiday, AdExchanger and other digital media industry publications.
As OpenSlate grows beyond Social and Video, we are continually working on building our systems to handle an ever-growing number of data sources which give us access to more content from more creators across an even more diverse set of platforms.
Working with content at scale poses a number of unique challenges. We highly value creative technical minds that can imagine solutions and bring them to reality. We’re looking for experienced Python engineers who would enjoy the challenge of designing and building applications to provide insights into a highly dynamic and expansive data set.
What you’ll do
The Senior Software Architect will work closely with engineering leadership to design and develop new applications and services. They will build the technical foundation to ensure new development is implemented to spec and within allocated time.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Help define and set the standard for the development cycle including appropriate technology, workflow, and coding standards.
- Evaluate and recommend technologies and best practices to be used by the software engineering team.
- Oversee and contribute to the full progress of development ensuring consistency with approved designs.
- Collaborate across departments to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications.
- Work with the team to produce technical requirements for new software or applications.
- Successfully communicate concepts and guidelines to the development team.
- Ensure software meets requirements of testability/quality, security, modifiability, and extensibility.
- Provide technical guidance to developers and engineers.
- Experience designing and building non-trivial, data-centric Python applications and APIs in a Linux environment.
- Thorough understanding of common Internet networking technologies including TCP, HTTP, DNS.
- Expertise working with RDBMS, including schema design, writing SQL for complex multi-table queries and optimizing query performance.
- Expertise in using Git and Git branching models.
- You enjoy working as a part of a collaborative team and demonstrate an open mindset.
- Strong communication skills: able to clearly document, articulate, and justify designs.
- Work well within a cross-discipline team.
- A love of problem solving and a sense of imagination!
- Experience designing and implementing scalable systems that process large amounts of data.
- 5+ years building back-end services and APIs in a Python environment such as Django or Flask.
- Experience designing schemas for efficiently indexing and searching content in Solr or Elasticsearch.
- Familiarity with AWS (specifically EC2, ELB, EBS, S3, and Route 53)
- Experience working with Celery, RabbitMQ, and/or Redis
- Familiarity with GitHub and GitHub Flow is a plus.
Benefits at OpenSlate
- Flexible work: Flexible work is not new for our Engineering team. It’s always been part of how we work. Our headquarters are based in New York city and if you want to work from home or an office that’s your choice. Talent, commitment and teamwork are more important than geography.
- Learning opportunities: We support growth and learning at OpenSlate. All our people receive an annual learning stipend for self directed learning and we encourage our engineers to take advantage of conferences, meet ups and continued education.
- Equity: We want our people to be invested in our success and have ownership in our company
- Time to recharge: We have flexible PTO, Monthly Wellness Days and Volunteer Time Off programs. We also close our company for a week during the Winter holiday season. We understand how important balance and the ability to step away is in order to be our best selves at work and home.
Medical, dental and vision, 401k, paid parental leave: YES!